Department of Computer Science and Engineering
School of Engineering
The University of California, Merced
Address: #208, SE2, 5200 N. Lake Road, Merced, CA 95343
Email: wdu3 AT ucmerced.edu
Recruiting: I am looking for two Ph.D. students starting in Spring or Fall 2023, supported by full scholarship to cover tuition fees and living expenses. Send me an email if you are interested in my research, including Reinforcement Learning, Cyber-Physical Systems, the Internet of Things, and Networked Embedded Systems.
Bio: Dr. Wan Du is an assistant professor in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at UC Merced since 2017. He received his Ph.D. degree from the University of Lyon, France, and worked as a research fellow at Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore.
UC Merced is the 10th campus of the UC system. We are near Silicon Valley and National Yosemite Park. For 16 years, UC Merced has been ranked as #38 Public University and #93 National University in the U.S. (U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges Rankings). Our Computer Science program has ranked #61 in the U.S. (CSRankings).
- Undergraduate courses
- CSE150 - Operating Systems: Fall 2021, 2020, 2019, and 2018.
- CSE100 - Algorithm Design and Analysis: Fall 2022.
- Graduate courses
- EECS258 - MultiMedia Systems: Spring 2023
- EECS251 - Advanced Operating Systems: Spring 2022, 2021.
- EECS250 - Advanced Topics in Computer Systems: Spring 2020, 2019, and 2018.
- EECS290 - EECS Seminars: Fall 2019.
Selected Papers since 2017 (Google Scholar Profile) (The students or visiting students in my group at UC Merced are underlined.)
Kang Yang and Wan Du, "LLDPC: A Low-Density Parity-Check Coding Scheme for LoRa Networks", in the 20th ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys), 2022.
Miaomiao Liu, Sikai Yang, Wyssanie Chomsin, and Wan Du, "Real-Time Tracking of Smartwatch Orientation and Location by Multitask Learning", in the 20th ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys), 2022.
Miaomiao Liu, Kang Yang, Yanjie Fu, Dapeng Wu, and Wan Du, “Driving Maneuver Anomaly Detection based on Deep Auto-Encoder and Geographical Partitioning”, ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks, 2022.
Xianzhong Ding and Wan Du, "DRLIC: Deep Reinforcement Learning for Irrigation Control", in ACM/IEEE IPSN, 2022.
Hamid Rajabi, Zhizhang Hu, Xianzhong Ding, Shijia Pan, Wan Du, and Alberto Cerpa, "MODES: Multi-sensor Occupancy Data-driven Estimation System for Smart Buildings". in ACM e-Energy, 2022.
Kang Yang, Xi Zhao, Jianhua Zou, and Wan Du, “ATPP: A Mobile App Prediction System Based on Deep Marked Temporal Point Processes”, in IEEE DCOSS, 2021. code+data. (Best Paper Runner-Up Award)
- Devanshu Kumar, Xianzhong Ding, Wan Du, and Alberto Cerpa. “Building Sensor Fault Detection and Diagnostic System”, in the 1st ACM International Workshop on Big Data and Machine Learning for Smart Buildings and Cities (BALANCES) in ACM BuildSys 2021.
- Kunpeng Liu, Pengfei Wang, Dongjie Wang, Wan Du, Dapeng Wu, and Yanjie Fu, “Efficient Reinforced Feature Selection via Early Stopping Traverse Strategy'', in IEEE ICDM, 2021.
Xianzhong Ding, Wan Du, and Alberto Cerpa, “MB2C: Model-Based Deep Reinforcement Learning for Multi-zone Building Control”, in ACM BuildSys, 2020. (Best Paper Runner-Up Award and Best Presentation Award). YouTube Video.
Miaomiao Liu, Xianzhong Ding, and Wan Du, “Continuous, Real-Time Object Detection on Mobile Devices without Offloading”, in IEEE ICDCS, 2020. Acceptance rate: 105/584 = 18%. YouTube Video.
Zhihao Shen, Wan Du, Xi Zhao, and Jianhua Zou. “DMM: Fast Map Matching for Cellular Data”, in ACM MobiCom, 2020. code+data. Acceptance rate: 62/384 = 16%. YouTube Video. The extended version submitted to IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering.
- Huijie Chen, Fan Li, Wan Du, Song Yang, Matthew Conn, Song Yang, and Yu Wang. “Listen to Your Fingers: User Authentication based on Geometry Biometrics of Touch Gesture”, in ACM UbiComp & IMWUT, 2020.
- Haiqiao Wu, Wan Du, Peng Gong, and Dapeng (Oliver) Wu, "CPU: Cross-Rack-Aware Pipelining Update for Erasure-Coded Storage", IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing, November 2020.
- Xianzhong Ding, Wan Du, and Alberto Cerpa, “OCTOPUS: Deep Reinforcement Learning for Holistic Smart Building Control”, in ACM BuildSys, 2019. Acceptance rate: 38/128 = 29.7%.
- Weifeng Gao, Wan Du, Zhiwei Zhao, Geyong Min, and Mukesh Singhal, "Towards Energy-Fairness in LoRa Networks", in IEEE ICDCS, 2019. code+data. Acceptance rate: 19.6%.
- Zhihao Shen, Kang Yang, Wan Du, Xi Zhao, and Jianhua Zou, “DeepAPP: A Deep Reinforcement Learning Framework for Mobile Application Usage Prediction”, in ACM SenSys, 2019. code+data. Acceptance rate: 28/144 = 19.4%, YouTube video. (The first two student authors have an equal contribution.) Extension in IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing.
- Jothi Prasanna Shanmuga Sundara, Wan Du, and Zhiwei Zhao, “A Survey on LoRa Networking: Research Problems, Current Solutions, and Open Issues”, IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, Vol. 22, Issue 1, Pages 371-388, October 2019.
- Jie Liu, Jiawen Liu, Wan Du, and Dong Li, “Performance Analysis and Characterization of Training Deep Learning Models on Mobile Devices”, in IEEE ICPADS, 2019.
- Huanle Zhang, Wan Du, Mo Li, Prasant Mohapatra, and Kaishun Wu, "StrLight: An Imperceptible Visible Light Communication System with String Lights", IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, Vol. 22, Issue 1, Pages 371-388, October 2019.
- Panrong Tong, Wan Du, Mo Li, Jianqiang Huang, Wenqiang Wang, and Zheng Qin, “Last-Mile School Shuttle Planning With Crowdsensed Student Trajectories”, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, December 2019.
- Chi Lin, Zhi Shang, Wan Du, Jiankang Ren, Lei Wang, and Guowei Wu, “CoDoC: A Novel Attack for Wireless Rechargeable Sensor Networks through Denial of Charge”, in IEEE INFOCOM, 2019. code+data. Acceptance rate: 288/1464= 19.7%.
- Chi Lin, Chunyang Guo, Wan Du, Jing Deng, Lei Wang, and Guowei Wu, “Maximizing Energy Efficiency of Period-Area Coverage with UAVs for Wireless Rechargeable Sensor Networks”, in IEEE SECON, 2019. code+data. Acceptance rate: 54/189= 28.6%.
- Zhenfeng Shao, Wenjing Wu, Zhongyuan Wang, Wan Du, and Chengyuan Li, "SeaShips: A Large-Scale Precisely-Annotated Dataset for Ship Detection", IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, Vol. 20, Issue 10, Pages 2593-2604, October 2018. Dataset.
- Weifeng Gao, Wan Du, and Zhiwei Zhao, "Invited Paper: Reliable Channel Allocation for Mission Oriented Low-power Wireless Networks", in IEEE INFOCOM workshop MiSeNet, 2018.
- Wan Du, Panrong Tong, and Mo Li, "UniLoc: A Unified Mobile Localization Framework Exploiting Scheme Diversity", in IEEE ICDCS, 2018. Acceptance rate: 78/378= 20.6%. Extended version published in IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing.
Selected Papers before 2017
- Huanle Zhang, Wan Du, Pengfei Zhou, Mo Li, and Prasant Mohapatra, "DopEnc: Acoustic-based Encounter Profiling Using Smartphones", in ACM MobiCom, 2016. Acceptance rate: 32/226 = 14.2%. Extension in IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing.
- Wan Du, Jansen Christian Liando, and Mo Li, "SoftLight: Adaptive Visual Light Communication over Screen-Camera Links", in IEEE INFOCOM, 2016. Acceptance rate: 300/1644 = 18.3%. Extension in IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing.
- Wan Du, Jansen Christian Liando, Huanle Zhang, and Mo Li, "When Pipelines Meet Fountain: Fast Data Dissemination in Wireless Sensor Networks", in ACM SenSys, 2015. Acceptance rate: 27/132 = 20.5%. Best Paper. Extension in IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking.
- Zhenjiang Li, Wan Du, Yuanqing Zheng, Mo Li, and Dapeng Oliver Wu, "From Rateless to Hopless", in ACM MobiHoc, 2015. Acceptance rate: 37/250 = 14.8%. Extension in IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking.
- Wan Du, Zhenjiang Li, Jansen Christian Liando, and Mo Li, "From Rateless to Distanceless: Enabling Sparse Sensor Network Deployment in Large Areas", in ACM SenSys, 2014. Acceptance rate: 21/117 = 17.9%. Extension in IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking.
- Wan Du, Zikun Xing, Mo Li, Bingsheng He, Lloyd Hock Chye Chua, and Haiyan Miao, "Optimal Sensor Placement and Measurement of Wind for Water Quality Studies in Urban Reservoirs", in ACM/IEEE IPSN, 2014. Acceptance rate: 23/111 = 20.7%. Extension in ACM Transactions on Sensor Networks.
- Wan Du and Mo Li, "Harnessing Mobile Multiple Access Efficiency with Location Input", in IEEE ICDCS, 2013. Acceptance rate: 61/464= 13.1%. Extension in IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications.
- Zhiyu An (Ph.D. student, B.S. from UC Berkeley, 01/2023~)
- Yuning Chen (Ph.D. student, B.S. from Tsinghua University, 08/2021~)
- Sikai Yang (Ph.D. student, B.S. from University of Science and Technology of China, 08/2021~)
- Kang Yang (Ph.D. student, M.S. from Xi'an Jiaotong University, 01/2020~)
- Miaomiao Liu (Ph.D. student, M.S. from Northeastern University, China, 08/2018~)
- Xianzhong Ding (Ph.D. student, M.S. from Shandong University, 08/2018~)
- Wyssanie Chomsin (Master student, B.S. from UC Merced, 08/22~)
- Weifeng Gao (visiting Ph.D. student, 09/2018~03/2020）
- Haiqiao Wu (visiting Ph.D. student, 01/2019~02/2021)
- 2023: INFOCOM, IPSN, ICDCS, DCOSS-IoT.
- 2022: INFOCOM (Distinguished TPC Member), ICDCS, DCOSS, IoTDI, ICPADS, MASS, ICC, GLOBECOM.
- 2021: INFOCOM, MASS, GLOBECOM, ICC.
- 2020: INFOCOM (Distinguished TPC Member), ICDCS, MASS, GLOBECOM.
- 2019: INFOCOM, MASS, ICCCN, EWSN, SMARTCOMP, ICESS, VTC-Fall, MSN.
- 2018: INFOCOM (Distinguished TPC Member), ICDCS, ICCCN, ICPADS, SECON, GLOBECOM, MobiSyS Demo session.
- 2017: ICDCS, ICPADS.
- Workshops/Tutorials/Competition co-Chair: CPS-IoT Week 2023,
- Poster co-chair: ACM/IEEE IPSN 2022.
- Track co-Chair: the Cloud & Edge Track of IEEE ICPADS 2022.
- Webchair: ACM BuildSys 2021
- Publicity co-chair: IEEE SECON 2020.
- Workshop co-chair: IEEE UIC 2018.
- Distinguished Member of the IEEE INFOCOM Technical Program Committee, 2022, 2020, 2018.
- Best Paper Runner-up Award, IEEE DCOSS, 2021. (Kang Yang^, Xi Zhao, Jianhua Zou, and Wan Du)
- Best Paper Runner-up Award, ACM BuildSys, 2020. (Xianzhong Ding^, Wan Du, and Alberto Cerpa)
- Best Presentation Award, ACM BuildSys, 2020. (Xianzhong Ding^, Wan Du, and Alberto Cerpa)
- Exemplary Reviewer for IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, 2018, 2017.
- IoT OpenInnov Challenge Winner, by ENGIE and SIGFOX, 2016.
- Best Paper Award, ACM SenSys 2015. (Wan Du, Jansen Christian Liando, Huanle Zhang and Mo Li)
- Best Demo Award, IEEE SECON 2014. (Wan Du, Mo Li, Zikun Xing, Bingsheng He, Lloyd Hock Chye Chua, Zhenjiang Li, Yuanqing Zheng, and Pengfei Zhou)
- Best Paper Award, ICSNC 2010. (Wan Du, Fabien Mieyeville, and David Navarro)