Department of Computer Science and Engineering
School of Engineering
The University of California, Merced
Address: #208, SE2, 5200 N. Lake Road, Merced, CA 95343
Email: wdu3 AT ucmerced.edu
Research Interests: Internet of Things; Networked Embedded Systems; Mobile Computing and Data Analytics.
Bio: Dr. Wan Du is an assistant professor in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at UC Merced since 2017. He received his PhD degree from University of Lyon, France, and worked as a research fellow at Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore.
Recruiting: I am looking for a PhD student starting in Spring 2022, with research interests in IoT system development. She/He will be supported by full scholarships to cover tuition fees and living expenses.
UC Merced is the 10th campus of the UC system. We are near to Silicon Valley and National Yosemite Park. With 15 years, UC Merced has ranked as #40 Public University and #3 Young University (U.S. News & World Report Best Colleges Rankings), and #97 National University in the U.S.. Our Computer Science program has ranked #60 in the U.S. (CSRankings).
- CSE150 - Operating Systems: Fall 2021, 2020, 2019 and 2018.
- EECS251 - Advanced Operating Systems: Spring 2022, 2021. Please check the syllabus here.
- EECS250 - Advanced Topics in Computer Systems: Spring 2020, 2019, and 2018.
- EECS290 - EECS Seminars: Fall 2019.
Selected Papers since 2017 (Google Scholar Profile) (^ indicates the students under my advice at UC Merced)
Xianzhong Ding^, Wan Du and Alberto Cerpa, “MB2C: Model-Based Deep Reinforcement Learning for Multi-zone Building Control”, in ACM BuildSys, 2020. (Best Paper Runner-Up Award and Best Presentation Award)
Miaomiao Liu^, Xianzhong Ding^, and Wan Du, “Continuous, Real-Time Object Detection on Mobile Devices without Offloading”, in IEEE ICDCS, 2020. Acceptance rate: 105/584 = 18%.
- Huijie Chen, Fan Li, Wan Du, Song Yang, Matthew Conn, Song Yang, and Yu Wang. “Listen to Your Fingers: User Authentication based on Geometry Biometrics of Touch Gesture”, in ACM UbiComp & IMWUT, 2020.
- Haiqiao Wu^, Wan Du, Peng Gong, and Dapeng (Oliver) Wu, "CPU: Cross-Rack-Aware Pipelining Update for Erasure-Coded Storage", IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing, November 2020.
- Xianzhong Ding^, Wan Du and Alberto Cerpa, “OCTOPUS: Deep Reinforcement Learning for Holistic Smart Building Control”, in ACM BuildSys, 2019. Acceptance rate: 38/128 = 29.7%.
- Weifeng Gao^, Wan Du, Zhiwei Zhao, Geyong Min and Mukesh Singhal, "Towards Energy-Fairness in LoRa Networks", in IEEE ICDCS, 2019. code+data. Acceptance rate: 19.6%.
- Zhihao Shen*, Kang Yang*, Wan Du, Xi Zhao, and Jianhua Zou, “DeepAPP: A Deep Reinforcement Learning Framework for Mobile Application Usage Prediction”, in ACM SenSys, 2019. code+data. Acceptance rate: 28/144 = 19.4%. (The first two student authors have equal contribution.)
- Jothi Prasanna Shanmuga Sundara^, Wan Du, and Zhiwei Zhao, “A Survey on LoRa Networking: Research Problems, Current Solutions and Open Issues”, IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, Vol. 22, Issue 1, Pages 371-388, October 2019.
- Jie Liu, Jiawen Liu, Wan Du, and Dong Li, “Performance Analysis and Characterization of Training Deep Learning Models on Mobile Devices”, in IEEE ICPADS, 2019.
- Huanle Zhang, Wan Du, Mo Li, Prasant Mohapatra and Kaishun Wu, "StrLight: An Imperceptible Visible Light Communication System with String Lights", IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, Vol. 22, Issue 1, Pages 371-388, October 2019.
- Panrong Tong, Wan Du, Mo Li, Jianqiang Huang, Wenqiang Wang, and Zheng Qin, “Last-Mile School Shuttle Planning With Crowdsensed Student Trajectories”, IEEE Transactions on Intelligent Transportation Systems, December 2019.
- Chi Lin, Zhi Shang, Wan Du, Jiankang Ren, Lei Wang and Guowei Wu, “CoDoC: A Novel Attack for Wireless Rechargeable Sensor Networks through Denial of Charge”, in IEEE INFOCOM, 2019. code+data. Acceptance rate: 288/1464= 19.7%.
- Chi Lin, Chunyang Guo, Wan Du, Jing Deng, Lei Wang, and Guowei Wu, “Maximizing Energy Efficiency of Period-Area Coverage with UAVs for Wireless Rechargeable Sensor Networks”, in IEEE SECON, 2019. code+data. Acceptance rate: 54/189= 28.6%.
- Zhenfeng Shao, Linggang Wang, Zhongyuan Wang, Wan Du, and Wenjing Wu, "Saliency-Aware Convolution Neural Network for Ship Detection in Surveillance Video", IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Vol. 30, Issue 3, Pages 781-794, February 2019.
- Zhenfeng Shao, Wenjing Wu, Zhongyuan Wang, Wan Du, and Chengyuan Li, "SeaShips: A Large-Scale Precisely-Annotated Dataset for Ship Detection", IEEE Transactions on Multimedia, Vol. 20, Issue 10, Pages 2593-2604, October 2018. Dataset.
- Weifeng Gao, Wan Du, and Zhiwei Zhao, "Invited Paper: Reliable Channel Allocation for Mission Oriented Low-power Wireless Networks", in IEEE INFOCOM workshop MiSeNet, 2018.
- Wan Du, Panrong Tong, and Mo Li, "UniLoc: A Unified Mobile Localization Framework Exploiting Scheme Diversity", in IEEE ICDCS, 2018. Acceptance rate: 78/378= 20.6%. Extended version published in IEEE TMC.
Selected Papers before 2017
- Huanle Zhang, Wan Du, Pengfei Zhou, Mo Li, and Prasant Mohapatra, "DopEnc: Acoustic-based Encounter Profiling Using Smartphones", in ACM MobiCom, 2016. Acceptance rate: 32/226 = 14.2%. Extension in IEEE TMC.
- Wan Du, Jansen Christian Liando, and Mo Li, "SoftLight: Adaptive Visual Light Communication over Screen-Camera Links", in IEEE INFOCOM, 2016. Acceptance rate: 300/1644 = 18.3%. Extension in IEEE TMC.
- Wan Du, Jansen Christian Liando, Huanle Zhang and Mo Li, "When Pipelines Meet Fountain: Fast Data Dissemination in Wireless Sensor Networks", in ACM SenSys, 2015. Acceptance rate: 27/132 = 20.5%. Best Paper. Extension inIEEE/ACM ToN.
- Zhenjiang Li, Wan Du, Yuanqing Zheng, Mo Li, and Dapeng Oliver Wu, "From Rateless to Hopless", in ACM MobiHoc, 2015. Acceptance rate: 37/250 = 14.8%. Extension inIEEE/ACM ToN.
- Wan Du, Zhenjiang Li, Jansen Christian Liando, and Mo Li, "From Rateless to Distanceless: Enabling Sparse Sensor Network Deployment in Large Areas", in ACM SenSys, 2014. Acceptance rate: 21/117 = 17.9%. Extension in IEEE/ACM ToN.
- Wan Du, Zikun Xing, Mo Li, Bingsheng He, Lloyd Hock Chye Chua, and Haiyan Miao, "Optimal Sensor Placement and Measurement of Wind for Water Quality Studies in Urban Reservoirs", in ACM/IEEE IPSN, 2014. Acceptance rate: 23/111 = 20.7%. Extension in ACM TOSN.
- Wan Du and Mo Li, "Harnessing Mobile Multiple Access Efficiency with Location Input", in IEEE ICDCS, 2013. Acceptance rate: 61/464= 13.1%. Extension in IEEE TWireless.
- Kang Yang (01/2020~)
- Miaomiao Liu (08/2018~)
- Xianzhong Ding (08/2018~)
- Weifeng Gao (09/2018~03/2020, visiting PhD student)
- Haiqiao Wu (01/2019~02/2021, visiting PhD student)
- EEE INFOCOM 2022, 2021, 2020 (Distinguished TPC member), 2019, 2018 (Distinguished TPC member).
- IEEE ICDCS 2020, 2018, 2017.
- IEEE MASS 2021, 2020, 2019.
- Wi-DroIT workshop in conjunction with IEEE DCOSS 2020
- MobiArch workshop in conjunction with IEEE ICNP 2019
- ComNet-IoT workshop in conjunction with IEEE ICDCN 2017
- Best Paper Runner-up Award, ACM BuildSys, 2020. (Xianzhong Ding^, Wan Du, and Alberto Cerpa)
- Best Presentation Award, ACM BuildSys, 2020. (Xianzhong Ding^, Wan Du, and Alberto Cerpa)
- Distinguished TPC member, IEEE INFOCOM, 2020, 2018.
- Exemplary Reviewer for IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, 2018, 2017.
- IoT OpenInnov Challenge Winner, by ENGIE and SIGFOX, 2016.
- Best Paper Award, ACM SenSys 2015. (Wan Du, Jansen Christian Liando, Huanle Zhang and Mo Li)
- Best Demo Award, IEEE SECON 2014. (Wan Du, Mo Li, Zikun Xing, Bingsheng He, Lloyd Hock Chye Chua, Zhenjiang Li, Yuanqing Zheng, and Pengfei Zhou)
- Best Paper Award, ICSNC 2010. (Wan Du, Fabien Mieyeville, and David Navarro)